Child Support

Questions we have been asked on this topic include:

‘Young father wants to know at what age CSA will start deducting money’
‘CSA have just doubled his payment; he can’t afford it; they suggested he call FD’

Our suggestions:

The CSA itself can answer some queries – e.g. about rules and regulations

08457 133133 (calls normally charged at local rate), or

If the CSA cannot answer the query try:

• National Association for Child Support Action (NACSA): email advice service: or write to NACSA Ltd, Po Box 4120, 20 Market Street, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY8 1WY

The Centre for Separated Families email advice service:

• Citizens’ Advice (formerly Citizens’ Advice Bureau): for the address of your local walk-in office try your local telephone directory or or phone Head Office 020 7833 2181 (for referral to local branches and to answer basic questions). For web-based advice go to

If it is an affordability issue, try:

• National Debtline: free confidential advice on money problems
0808 808 4000

If the underlying problem is a conflict issue between parents, try:

Mediation, where parents are helped to reach agreement, can be fantastic – and usually results in both parents feeling more satisfied and fathers seeing more of their children. Telephone the Family Mediators Association (tel: 0117 946 7062) or National Family Mediation (tel: 0117 904 2824) to find a mediation service local to you