Dads’ FAQs: Child protection

21 October 2012


Questions we have been asked include:

‘Father fears for child’s wellbeing’

‘Wife mistrusts everyone. Children won’t mix. Needs psychiatric help. What can father do?’

‘Father has been kicked out of home; wife now leaves children 8 & 11 alone while she works’

‘Son comes to stay every weekend; cries a lot; does well at school but seems very vague’

‘Father looking after his 2 children – ex-wife now wants them back but father doesn’t think she’d be able to cope.’


Children with worries – about anything – can ring ChildLine via 0800 1111. The website is a useful source of help and support, too, including chat and message boards.

If you think a child is in immediate danger, phone the police on 999.

If you are worried about the care any child is receiving, and feel that external help is required, contact the NSPCC free 24-hour Child Protection Helpline 0808 800 5000. If you prefer to express yourself in writing, email You don’t have to say who you are.

You may have concerns about someone in the vicinity of a child. If so, you can ask for a police check to be carried out to see if they have a record of sexual offences. Find out more on the Government website.

Stop it Now! based in the UK and Ireland, is an organisation that believes all adults are responsible for protecting society’s most vulnerable – and that they can prevent sexual abuse occurring by being proactive. If you have any concerns about the inappropriate behaviour of an individual around children, or their use of the internet, phone the free, confidential helpline on 0808 1000 900 or email

If you are worried about a child’s mental or emotional state and/or would like to chat through any aspect of parenting and family life, call the Family Lives free telephone helpline 0808 800 2222 or use the website, which also has an email enquiry service and live chat, as well as Skype. The website also lists sources of local support.

If you have concerns about a child’s health, talk to your GP, check out the NHS Choices website or NHS Direct – or call 0845 46 47.

All local authorities have a child protection team. Find contact details for your local council on the Government website.

Find links to other Dads’ FAQs articles here.



Tags: , , , , ,