Informed Choices: Parenting and Black and Minority Ethnic Communities
REU’s fourth annual conference of the Strengthening Families, Strengthening Communities programme will provide a
unique opportunity to access information, hear about new developments and exchange ideas about best practice in
parenting. As always, the conference will focus on how we support all parents better, particularly those from black and minority ethnic communities.
The conference will explore:
• Talking about relationships, sex and sexuality with children and young people
• Managing family breakdown
• Promoting healthy lifestyles to our children
The conference will also:
• Look at successful ways of working with different groups of parents
• Provide opportunities for information exchange and networking.
Speakers will include
• John Amaechi, sports personality and youth motivator
• Susie Hayman, writer and broadcaster from the BBC series ‘Stepfamilies’
• Trefor Lloyd, Working with Men
• Connie St Louis, writer and broadcaster.
A highlight of the day will be the launch of a film made by parents about their experience of participating in a SFSC parent programme. In addition Dr Marilyn Steele will run a ‘Masterclass’ for trained facilitators.
The day will end with the Annual SFSC Awards presented to facilitators and parents for their achievements.
Further information on the conference programme and speakers is available from the REU website www.reu.org.uk
To download a copy of the brochure, right click the link below and select "Save Target As.."Tags: African-Caribbean fathers, Muslim fathers, Parenting education, Young fathers